- APST: Advanced plugin support team, the crew that sets up plugins for users of our plugin setup service.
- Bukkit: A Minecraft server mod that allows for the installation of plugins.
- BungeeCord: A proxy system for inter-server teleportation.
- Backup: A copy of your server’s files to be restored later in the event of a problem.
- BukGet: A system integrated into Multicraft to allow for one click installation of plugins.
- Central Processing Unit (CPU): The heart of the server, the CPU performs all the calculations that make your server tick.
- Console: A place in Multicraft where you can view error logs, this is the place to go if your server is experiencing lag or crashes!
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS): A large amount of traffic that causes a server to become unresponsive.
- Data-center: A building in which server racks and nodes are housed.
- Dedicated IP: A dedicated IP is an IP address in which you have access to all of the ports. This is useful if you wish to use a custom domain with your server.
- Feed the Beast (FTB): A modpack launcher created by Slowpoke101 designed to give more credit to the mod authors and make Modpacks easily accessible.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP): A method of transferring files to your server easily.
- FileZilla: An external program for connecting to FTP that we recommend for transferring your files.
- Griefing: The act of a user destroying your server for malicious intent.
- Hexxit: A modpack created by the Tekkit community.
- hMod: An old Minecraft server mod that allowed for the installation of plugins, now Bukkit is more commonly used.
- Invoice: A bill that is sent to you to pay for your products. This is does not take any money from you it merely requests it.
- Internet Protocol Address (IP): A unique identifier on the internet.
- Java: A programming language. Minecraft was written in Java.
- Knowledgebase: A collection of articles designed to make your job as a server admin easier.
- Lag: Something dropping behind, going slow, or jumpy. There are two types of lag, client (computer) lag (Stuttering) and server lag (blocks reappearing, players not moving properly, etc...)
- Latency: The time it takes for a piece of information to get from your computer to the server, measured in milliseconds.
- Linux: An operating system commonly used to host servers. (we use CentOS Linux)
- Multicraft: A control panel commonly used by Minecraft hosts to allow you to manage your server.
- Multiverse: A plugin used on server to create multiple worlds for players to visit.
- Mod: A modification of Minecraft itself, mods differ from plugins in that mods are usually client side (which means they can alter the look of Minecraft).
- Modpack: A collection of mods.
- MySQL: A relational database that Bukkit plugins can use to store data.
- MCPC: A server jar that allows you to use plugins with your Modpack.
- Node: An individual box on our network, nodes house hundreds of Minecraft server that we host.
- Nodus: A common griefing client that allows users to fly if your server is not protected (a plugin like NoCheatPlus can prevent many nodus “hacks)
- Notch: A.K.A Markus Perrson, the creator of Minecraft.
- Operator (OP): A user with full permission on your server. Be careful when adding ops as they can ban anyone and do anything!
- Port: A unique service identifier that is used to reference your server. Minecraft’s default port is 25565.
- Permissions: A type of plugin that allows you to specify what certain ranks in your server can and cannot do, several permission plugins include PermissionsEX, GroupManager, and bPermissions.
- Random Access Memory (RAM): This stores objects such as chunks, plugin data, and more when your server is online. The more plugins and players, the more RAM you need. When the server is stopped, much of the RAM is saved to disk (SSDs).
- SQLite: A relational database but in a file based format, which is different than MySQL which is much more network oriented.
- Sub Domain: A method of connecting to your server using the mcpro.co or mcph.co domain as it’s root. For instance: myserver.mcpro.co.
- Spigot: A performance oriented version of Bukkit designed for large servers.
- Solid State Drive (SSD): Similar to a hard-drive, SSDs store data when your server is off, however, they are much faster than hard drives.
- Tekkit: A modpack for Minecraft.
- Technic: A modpack launcher created by the Something Awful group, designed to create industrial style Modpacks and make them easily accessible to players.
- Ticket: A method of receiving support from us.
- Ticks Per Second (TPS): Minecraft performance is measured in TPS, a ticket should occur 20 times per second, however, if this number falls it indicates a performance problem. You can check TPS by using a plugin such as LagMeter.
- Upload: To transfer a file from your local machine to a server.
- Uptime: The percentage that your server is up vs. the percentage of time that your server is down.
- Vanilla: Minecraft without any mods, similar to vanilla ice cream vanilla Minecraft is plain old simple.
- WHMCS: The client panel that MCProHosting and many other providers use for managing orders, tickets, and invoices.
- Whitelist: A method of only allowing certain players on your server.
- YAML (YML): A file format commonly used for Bukkit plugin configurations.